Popular Posts

Thursday 5 July 2012

Looking for a job? Try this




I was standing in front of the town hall waiting for someone when a descent looking guy walks up to me points at my laptop bag and says – “ hey, nice bag. Where did you get this from?
 I gently replied “I got it free with my lappy.”
Him  – “hmm nice, can you say where can I get such a bag ?”
Me – “any bag shop. This isn’t something very unique should get it easily.”
Him – “ yeah sure, but then a laptop bag would suit me best. Do you think if I approach the HCL store I can get one from in there without buying a laptop?
Me –“don’t know but should not be tough if you pay a bit to the sales man and get one from back door.” (giggles)
Him – hahahahhha
Admiring the architectural beauty of the town hall, he suddenly cropped up with another question.
Him – “so, do you work in a service industry?”
Me –“ nope, I am into real estate.”
Him – “ok. I actually got a call from NK realtors a few weeks back for a job but I wasn’t in Calcutta then hence could not respond. Do you think a person with no experience in real estate can get into its marketing?”
Me – “yeah why not. It’s not that technically complicated. You can be abreast with the knowhows in a few weeks.”
Now it started to take the heat.
Him – “so where is your office?”
Me = “Gariahat.”
Him – “can I get your visiting card?”
Me – (thinks for a while) “ na sorry it’s exhausted.”
Him – “ that’s ok. It should be getting weird for you. It all started with the bag and now I am asking for your visiting card.”
Me – “ perfectly ok. That’s how relationships build.”
Him – “Are Saturdays a half day at your office?”
Me – (by now I was sure he was looking for a job and had no special interest in my bag L) “depends. If there is work one has to stay long, else can leave early. (just to set him aback I added) Sometimes we call in staff even on Sundays if the workload demands. :D :D
Him – “that’s a bit too much don’t you think? Where exactly is your office?”

I explained to him the location, admiring his unique way of seeking a job.

Him – “ is this your second or third job?”
Me – (job??) “ nope first one.” ( I was quite liking this conversation by now)
Him – “how is the management of the company?”
Me – “ its really good. We have a very healthy work atmosphere.”
Him- “ ah if I ever meet your boss I shall say you were all praises for firm. Hahahaha it all started with a bag “.
Me – “ that should be quite obliging. Yes indeed all started with my nice looking bag.”
Him – “ but really do you think a person with no experience can get into real estate?
Me –“ yes sure. Its not complicated at all. Ok I go to go. “
The person I was waiting for arrives and I am all set to leave when he looks at the bag and repeats himself.
Him – “ your bag is really good.”

I gave a smile and moved on. I really found him interesting. The way he initiated the talk and gradually approached the major motive of his was fascinating. It reminded me of Jim Cambell ( my career advisor at the Uni) who would always say – “ 80% of the jobs are hidden and you have to dig deep to find them.”

This surely was a nice way of looking for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment